A psoriasis diet does not cure the disease. But a person who does not adhere to the principles of a healthy diet and eats foods that cause allergic dermatitis increases the risk of recurrence. This skin disease is incurable, but if psoriasis adheres to medical recommendations, it is actively treated and monitored diet, thus prolonging remissions and facilitating the course of attacks if the disease worsens. So you need to know what you can and cannot eat if psoriasis is diagnosed.
General principles of nutrition for psoriasis
A table of foods that lists allowed and forbidden foods will help you make a proper diet. If no food product is listed opposite the name in the "cans" column, then this group is prohibited in the diet of a person diagnosed with psoriasis.> zxtable border = "1" cellpadding = "0" >
It is useful for people with psoriasis to consider what you need when compiling a menu:
- Refrain from legumes. Beans, lentils, peanuts, soy are foods that are consumed in moderation, despite the fact that they are rich in zinc and B vitamins.
- Include vegetable and nut oils in your diet, in addition to soy and peanut oils, which are rich in polyunsaturated acids. Avoid butter and margarine.
- Greens and salads are useful, so dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, feather onions are included in the daily diet. These products are rich in vitamins and minerals, support the body, saturate with nutrients, strengthen the immune system.
- Choose fermented milk and dairy products, such as cheese, milk, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, low-fat and sugar-free. They contain calcium which has a beneficial effect on the skin and stops inflammation in psoriasis.
- Refuse canned food. It has almost no vitamins, but a lot of spices, salt and vinegar.
- There are buckwheat, barley, millet, oatmeal. Semolina and rice (especially peeled, cream) are excluded, because they contain a lot of starch, they contribute to weight gain.
- Choose dietary meat: chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef and lean lamb. Steam or cook meat dishes. Lard, pork, fatty poultry are contraindicated in psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of fluids, mineral slightly carbonated or table water, unsweetened compotes, herbal teas. But give up freshly squeezed juices, which contain a lot of essential oils. Adequate fluid intake maintains the health of the skin and all internal organs.
- Reject vegetables and fruits that cause allergies and dermatitis.
- Do not eat citrus fruits and berries that contain red pigment: raspberries, strawberries, pomegranates. But cranberries, cranberries, blueberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants, on the contrary, must be in the diet of a person with psoriasis. During remission, pineapple, mango, kiwi, and green apples and bananas are best eaten baked. Melons, pears are used as a separate dish.
- Include fresh nuts and seeds in your diet, such as nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Reject varieties that often cause allergies, such as hazelnuts.
- There are fish - lean varieties with white meat, pink salmon, because they are rich in omega acids, but exclude red caviar, seafood and surimi.
- Of the sweets prefer natural, for example, fruit jelly, jam, marshmallow. Suitable dried apricots, prunes, raisins. But chocolate, honey, caramel, sweets, cookies are contraindicated for people with psoriasis.
- From bakery products, choose products made from wholemeal flour, discard muffins and pasta made from wheat flour of the highest quality, products that include sugar and butter.
- Avoid spicy, salty, sour foods, exotic foods like soy sauce because it has a lot of salt and fermented beans.
- Be careful with eggs. Hard-boiled chicken, eat no more than 2 times a week, eat quail eggs, especially egg yolks. They are believed to fight disease relapse.
Allowed and useful products
Useful products for psoriasis should be:
- rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals;
- dietary, lean;
The list of foods that can be eaten with psoriasis is extensive, and a person with skin diseases should compile a daily diet so that meals are complete and varied. The menu is made taking into account the fact that most of the diet (up to 80%) should be of plant origin.
For example, fruit with psoriasis can be eaten every day. The exceptions are citrus and canned in syrup. Oranges, lemons, tangerines can cause severe allergic reactions, rashes and recurrence of the disease. Canned food has a lot of sugar, and almost no vitamins. It is better to combine fresh berries and fruits with low-fat yogurt or coarse-grained cottage cheese.
Especially useful vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, beets. They are easy and quick to prepare salads to which you can add sunflower seeds, cedar, pumpkin.
The list of products that make up the menu of people with psoriasis necessarily includes white fish, lean meat, which are a source of amino acids needed by the brain and the whole body to maintain immunity.
Legumes such as soy, chickpeas, peas, green and yellow, lentils and beans are also on the list. These foods are rich in zinc, which is essential for people with psoriasis. However, excessive consumption of legumes in food burdens the digestive tract and worsens the course of the disease.
What not to eat with psoriasis
Forbidden food for psoriasis causes inflammation, dermatitis and worsens the course of the disease. Some of them are allowed to be consumed in moderation in the remission phase.
A person diagnosed with skin pathology should be careful with food, as some of it may only be consumed in a certain form. For example, nuts for psoriasis are best eaten raw, but not fried, not salty. Hazelnuts, cashews, other exotic varieties are contraindicated because they cause allergies.
When buying a product, pay attention to the appearance and shelf life. Moldy almonds or walnuts, a "smelly" product that has expired, are prohibited.
In no case should you eat canned food with psoriasis. It has few nutrients, but a lot of salt, pepper, vinegar and other spices. These products cause allergic reactions, dehydrate the body, irritate the digestive tract.
In psoriasis, it is strictly forbidden to drink alcoholic, carbonated beverages, packaged juices, coffee, strong tea, cocoa.
The diet for psoriasis for a woman or a man should be fractional. A person should eat 4-6 times a day, eat small portions, chew thoroughly.
The optimal time for the last meal is 2 hours before going to bed. This mode of work reduces the load on the gastrointestinal tract.
Foods for psoriasis should be varied, but it is not recommended to combine too many foods in one meal.
How to eat properly for psoriasis: sample menu for a week
The menu for psoriasis should be varied, because the body needs vitamins, mineral salts and nutrients. There is no need to overload the intestines by combining as many components as possible in one meal. It is better to prepare simple meals for each day, with the gradual elimination of unsuitable foods from the diet.
In the treatment of psoriasis, the diet depends on the stage and course of the disease. For example, during relapses, they eat mashed potatoes, steamed, cooked dishes that do not contain salt, sugar, spices. Fruits, especially apples and bananas, are baked, and "exotics" are discarded.
For breakfast, a person with psoriasis can eat porridge cooked in water (buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, corn). You can season them with dried fruit, fresh berries, yogurt. Snack on well-baked apples, bananas, oatmeal cookies. You can drink a glass of low-fat kefir or a cup of weak, unsweetened green tea.
Fasting lunch consists of mashed vegetable soups and meat or fish dishes. Low-fat cooked lamb, beef, chicken with a side dish of fresh vegetables or a salad of cabbage and carrots seasoned with vegetable oil will also come in handy.
For dessert, you can eat natural fruit mousses, fresh fruit and berry salads, jellies, marshmallows and low-sugar marshmallows. If the disease is in remission, limited consumption of honey is allowed, and it is better to refrain from butter at any stage of the disease.
Recipes for dishes
The diet of people with psoriasis consists of about 80% plant foods, grains, fruits, vegetables and dishes based on them. Foods rich in fiber, vitamins, mineral salts support the body's digestive function, strengthen the immune system, prolong remission and greatly facilitate the course of the disease.
Salads for psoriasis are prepared from fruits or vegetables and seasoned with low-fat natural yogurt or vegetable oil. A simple recipe for a vegetable salad that never gets bored, made from cabbage, beets, carrots is suitable as a snack or side dish.
- One big carrot.
- One medium beet.
- White or Peking cabbage, a quarter of a head.
- Wash the vegetables well under running water with a brush, you can pour boiling water over them.
- Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice. Remove the upper cabbage leaves.
- Grate the root vegetables on a large grater or cut into thin strips.
- Slice the cabbage.
- Put in a deep bowl. Season with vegetable oil.
- Squeeze with a fork to release the juice from the vegetables.
You can add fresh herbs, cucumber and fresh zucchini to such a salad. A combination of vegetables and a handful of fresh berries, cranberries or cranberries will suddenly play, giving the salad a sour taste. A handful of walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin will also come in handy.
Soups with psoriasis are best cooked in vegetable soup. You can eat puree of mushroom and vegetable soups spiced with low-fat yogurt. Soups with low-fat kefir, for example, fridge, are also useful.
Mushroom puree soup with leeks is suitable for lunch.
- mushrooms - 500 g;
- one small leek;
- cabbage, parsley, dill;
- whole grain bread crumbs.
Preparation of mushroom soup:
- Wash all ingredients well.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, the leeks into rings.
- Finely chop the herbs and garlic.
- In a pan, sauté the mushrooms and onions in a small amount of water until soft.
- Add herbs and fresh chopped garlic.
- Wait for the liquid to boil.
- Remove from the heat and mix into a puree.
The soup can be seasoned with yogurt. Eat with toasted whole grain bread.
For others, steamed chicken cutlets or baked fish fillets are suitable.
For baked fish you will need:
- 400 g of lean fillets, such as carp, cod, pike, hake;
- one small carrot;
- one light bulb;
- cabbage, dill, parsley;
- Wash carrots and mushrooms well.
- Clean the bulb.
- Roughly grate the carrot or cut it into strips.
- Chop the onion into rings.
- Cut the mushrooms in half.
- Finely chop the greens.
Pour a little water into the baking dish and arrange the grated carrot, onion, herbs, mushrooms, fish fillet and vegetables in layers so that the mushrooms are on top. Line the mold with baking paper or a lid and place in a preheated oven. Bake the dish for a quarter of an hour.
For sweets, you can eat oatmeal cookies, marshmallows, marshmallows and desserts based on natural fruits, berries, nuts, but without sugar. Examples of this are raw food cakes, which use dates, almonds, sunflower seeds, and even buckwheat.
Protein omelets with fresh green peas are suitable for dinner or breakfast. However, you should not rely on egg dishes. They can be eaten 2-3 times a week if the disease is in remission.
You should be careful with festive dishes, because it is not common to refuse food at a party. It is okay if a person with psoriasis in remission allows himself to move away from the usual menu once a month without abusing the forbidden food. The only things you should really refrain from are alcoholic beverages, chocolate and coffee.
If a person with psoriasis is waiting for guests, then there will be no problems. There are hundreds of dietary and vegetarian dishes that are not ashamed to honor the king himself.
Types of diets
Existing psoriasis diets are based on different principles. For example, dr. Pegano, author of a diet for psoriasis, suggested that the most important factor in alleviating the disease and prolonging remission is a mono-diet lasting 3-5 days and bowel cleansing. The doctor believes that the key to curing psoriasis lies in pH balance, so she included alkaline foods that treat the body in the list of permitted foods.
However, a person needs acids, because psoriasis does not develop if the pH of the environment is optimal.
Diet D. Pegano
The essence of the diet according to the methods of the American Dr. Pegana is monitoring the stages of the diet and including certain foods in the daily diet.
The pegano diet consists of fresh vegetables and fruits. However, apples, bananas and melons are considered separate independent dishes. They are used in baked form.
A person with psoriasis starts with a so-called fasting diet and chooses between:
- mono-fruit diet, observed for 5 days;
- apple, which is kept for 3 days.
In addition, treatment includes:
- Physical therapy exercises for the spine, because Dr. Pegano saw a connection between relapse and back problems. The fact is that damaged vertebral discs pinch nerve endings and blood vessels, and impaired blood flow causes a recurrence of psoriasis.
- Visits to beauty salons, baths and saunas, therapeutic baths. The procedures clean the skin, remove toxins from the body.
- Effective stress management, from meditation to reading and listening to your favorite music. The lower the stress level, the lower the risk of recurrence.
People with psoriasis in their daily diet include:
- cereals and bran;
- lean meat and fish;
- dairy and sour-milk fasting products (milk, sour milk, buttermilk, yogurt);
- porridge cooked in water;
- wholemeal bread.
Approximate weekly menu according to dr. Peganu:
- On the first day for breakfast buckwheat porridge, for lunch - vegetable soup and fresh vegetable salad, for dinner - baked or cooked fish fillet with lettuce. You can snack on fruit, fresh and baked.
- On the second day, you can have a protein omelette with greens for breakfast, grated broccoli and leek soup for dinner, and cooked chicken fillet with green peas or asparagus beans for dinner.
- The third day includes kefir or natural yogurt for breakfast, barley with vegetables and mushrooms for lunch, fresh vegetable salad and chicken for dinner.
- On the fourth day, you can have breakfast with fresh cheese, drink chamomile tea, have a low-fat fish soup, snack on grapes or a baked apple and have a vegetable salad.
- The fifth day includes celery salad for breakfast, wholemeal pasta with vegetables for lunch, cream soup or cabbage soup with whole grain croutons for dinner. You can have a snack with any fruit from the permitted list or a handful of nuts / seeds.
- On the sixth day, you can have a casserole of fresh cottage cheese for breakfast, a snack with low-fat yogurt, and for lunch you can eat roasted trout with vegetables.
- Finally, the last 7 days include dishes such as carrot salad for breakfast, lunch borscht, buckwheat or barley porridge with vegetables or chicken breast.
According to the doctor, a special alkaline diet alleviates the manifestations of psoriasis, which heals the skin and joints and improves immunity. You should refrain from foods that contain carbohydrates and proteins for a month.
During the worsening of the disease, the doctor recommends that people take sorbents and drink chamomile tea half an hour before meals.
Most of the foods that the doctor has included in the developed diet are alkaline, with a pH level of 7-14. Fried and smoked foods are contraindicated. A person should eat cooked, baked without fat, stewed food.
Once every 7 days, the doctor recommends that people with psoriasis "unload" their intestines. All day a person consumes one of the products:
- fermented milk, cottage cheese or kefir;
Fasting does not mean a hunger strike, because the exhaustion of the organism during the relapse of psoriasis is strictly forbidden.
In addition, you need:
- include lecithin in your daily diet;
- eat 5 times a day, eating approximately equal caloric portions or divide the diet into three main meals and two snacks;
- quit smoking.
The diet includes a lot of plant foods and reduces protein intake:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially berries (grapes, cherries), nectarines, pineapples, mangoes and papayas. Before eating, fruits and berries are thoroughly washed, the skin is peeled. Vegetables, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers are used as a side dish, in salads, soups. However, it will bring more benefits if eaten fresh, uncooked.
- Cereals, wholemeal bread, pasta, buckwheat, durum wheat, unrefined flour.
- Dietary meat and sea fish.
- Greens, seeds.
- Eggs and lean dairy products.
- Vegetable oils.
- Dried apricots, raisins, prunes, dates.
In limited quantities, a person with psoriasis can eat mushrooms, nuts, honey and grapefruit. You should drink table or mineral water, herbal teas, indicated for psoriasis.
The foods on the menu contain essential nutrients that a person with a skin problem needs:
- vitamins, minerals;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- zinc, calcium.
For example, for breakfast you can eat cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit or cereals, for lunch - soups on vegetable soup, including mashed potatoes, dinner fish, vinaigrette, pasta made from wholemeal flour. One meal should not include porridge and cottage cheese or soup and porridge, but fresh vegetables and fruits can be in every meal. As a dessert you can make a smoothie or fruit salad.
Other tips and tricks
The diet differs depending on which part of the body psoriasis covers. The person continues to build a diet based on the composition of the product and the method of cooking, but adjusts the list of allowed and forbidden foods, taking into account the manifestations of psoriasis.
For example, the scalp psoriasis diet excludes many spices and onions, garlic, horseradish and mustard. Fatty heavy fried foods, rich pastries, scrambled eggs and pasta are also contraindicated.
There is little vitamin left in food that has undergone long-term heat treatment, and in bakery products with the addition of sugar, whole milk, butter, there is no fiber needed by a person with psoriasis to stimulate digestive function.
During the exacerbation of psoriasis, the diet should be strict, consisting exclusively of cooked, stewed, pureed foods, hypoallergenic vegetables, fruits, berries and cereals on water.
It is necessary to take additional minerals and vitamins and make sure that the diet contains as much plant fiber as possible.
Diet for weight loss in psoriasis
Obesity and overweight negatively affect the course of psoriasis, because the disease primarily affects the skin folds. In obese people, psoriasis can be more severe, and relapses last longer, because obesity negatively affects the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal system of the body. Therefore, if a person is overweight and notices manifestations of skin disease, he should lose weight.
The best results can be achieved if a strict diet and moderate exercise are combined. You can start exercising after the worsening has passed and the disease has subsided.
Six principles that people with psoriasis should adhere to in order to lose weight and improve the course of skin disease:
- You can’t completely rule out carbs, but you can and should - fatty foods. The exception is fish rich in polyunsaturated acids.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods, grains, flaxseed flour, unrefined vegetable oils, especially extra virgin olive oil, fresh fish, but not smoked or salted.
- Exclude foods that cause inflammatory processes, such as potatoes, peppers, eggplant.
- Drink enough fluids, water, slightly carbonated mineral water.
- Exercise moderately, visit the pool, sauna, as soon as the disease enters the remission phase.
- Manage stress. This is the whole science that allows you to control your emotions and therefore refrain from impulsive eating of fast food, sweets, pickles, which "help calm" anxious people.
Effective diets for weight loss include any diet that is indicated for psoriasis, because they follow the three main principles of a healthy diet:
- Excluding unhealthy foods.
- Sufficient fluid intake.
- Fractional nutrition.
A person with psoriasis should monitor their condition throughout the treatment and independently exclude all foods that complicate the course of the disease, even if they are on the list of allowed.